18.2.07

My Twenty Four Hours of Zoom

So I made it safe to Vienna, through, well, neither rain nor snow nor sleet, but through feet, trains, metro, hostels, airplanes, buses, trams, and more feet. (I have actually used all of those within the last twenty-four hours. I'm considering taking a boat and/or taxi ride tomorrow, just to round it off.)

But as much as I could complain about all that, that's not what I want to write about. (Okay, I am going to complain very briefly about the woman who had to cut in front of me in line at Charles de Gaulle, with her high heels and her daughter -- I assume it was her daughter, it could have been some sort of theatrical prop -- and her tiny puppy, and her NOT GETTING TO THE AIRPORT ON FUCKING TIME so that although we were on the exact same flight she had to CUT IN FRONT OF ME, because she had a small child and a dog and was traveling first class, and was also clearly an IDIOT, because if you have a small child and a dog, you arrive at the airport TWO HOURS before your flight, NOT forty five minutes, and she is more of an idiot, because I still made it onto the plane before her because she stopped and bought a slurpee. Bitch. Anyway.)

Now my complaining is over. Other than that -- and the slight mishap when I was freshly arrived in Vienna and got off the bus at the wrong stop and had to figure out how to get across town with no map and a German vocabulary of fewer than ten words, not including the numbers one through twenty -- my trip went very well. And one of the reasons was the lovely Swiss airline I took.

Seriously, you guys? Everyone should ALWAYS fly Swiss. I luuuurve the Swiss. I was only in Zurich for less than five hours, and I still love the Swiss. (Switzerland, out the window, looked very pretty too.) Their seats are nice and big and nice leather, plenty of butt-room, and I had no one sitting next to me either of my two flights, and forget peanuts, they totally pass out sandwiches and Swiss chocolate. And that is actually a pretty brilliant move on their part, since as soon as I got to the airport in Zurich I bought like three or four big Swiss chocolate bars, because Swiss chocolate is delicious. Yum, Swiss chocolate.

So that is the lesson I have learned thus far in my travels. I'm not sure at all what I'm going to see in Vienna, except I'll probably head over to the Sigmund Freud Museum at some point, because I thik it is awesome that they have a Sigmund Freud museum. (I can't imagine what's in there, though. A couch? A cigar?) And the music hall, too probably. Email me with suggestions, everybody, or leave them as a comment. I have no guidebook, I am counting on you guys.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The world's only baroque zoo is in Vienna. I don't know which animals qualify as baroque, but I am fairly ignorant about cultural movements.

Arcadian said...

You are getting an awesome koala postcard for suggesting that.