5.2.07

Veronica Mars -- Poughkeepsie, Tramps, and Thieves

Latest Veronica Mars... whee, so I don't post on the weekends but then it's a two review Monday. So it goes. I'm only doing this today so that I can read the TWoP recap with a clear conscience.

Anyway, the script for this episode was brilliant. I especially loved the scenes between Veronica and Keith -- hilariously written, well-acted, really funny and cute. In general the writing was really strong this week. Lots of nice snark, everybody very in character, good character development. The scenes between Veronica and Logan were also really good. Although I'm starting to miss Wallace and his fun interactions with the cast.

The storyline was also strong, although I think the first half was better than the second half. I liked the whole premise and setup, the roommates, the hooker, I thought all that was really good. The actor playing Max I thought did a fantastic job. On first viewing, it felt weird that he suddenly couldn't get over being a hooker, but on repeat viewings, there were plenty of awkward moments leading up to that, and it made a certain amount of sense to me that he could ignore it while he was working on getting her out of it, -- as in, he could tell himself that soon it would be over, and it wouldn't matter anymore -- but then actually trying to live with her, knowing that, was really difficult for him. ("Never fall in love with a woman who sells herself! Always ends bad!" "Roooooooooxaaaannnnne!")

Speaking of (well, sort of) I was really happy with the Logan/Veronica stuff, again. I liked seeing her being sort of able (or at least willing) to deal with the what-did-you-do-while-we-were-on-a-break conversation. Not a good conversation to need to have, but nice that she could deal.

I always like it when we learn more about Veronica through her cases -- the last one that I thought did that really well was Of Vice and Men -- and this episode also did a stellar job with that. It was interesting to me that Veronica really sees blackmail as the thing to do. I mean, not surprisingly, but usually it seems like she and Keith enjoy holding themselves above that kind of thing, as opposed to Vinnie van Lowe and so forth. She has used it on a smaller scale several times before -- against the evil boyfriend in M.A.D. and against the evil TA in Ain't No Magic Mountain High Enough -- this is I think the first time we've seen her blackmailing someone who is not necessarily evil, just sort of wrong place-wrong time.

Also, Veronica? If the guy who used to set fire to swimming pools thinks maybe you're going too far and you should back off, please listen.

And the mystery itself wasn't exactly a mystery, but still felt very noir to me, very twisted identities. I could have done okay without the whole bruised hooker and limousine part, but part of that is that I can never recognize the guest stars of the week when I watch these things on youtube. The lady in the middle of the limo -- was she the same lady who was the bruised hooker? Anyhow, it felt a little odd, not quite linear, like some of the pieces jumped around a little. But I can't really say more clearly than that what I mean, and I can't give an example, so possibly this is all in my head.

So the mystery was pretty good, and the episode was just full of really clever little moments that I really enjoyed. The winner, of course, was Keith's salute to Lamb, but there were a bunch of good ones. The end -- the last third or so -- wasn't as good as the first part, but the whole thing was strong.

Oh! And Sense and Sensibility! It makes me so happy that they were watching that. They should watch Emma Thompson's commentary, it is much superior to Ang Lee's.

Oh, and my god. The ending? In the lingerie store? Way to twist the knife so you can make sure you get the vitals, Madison. Wicked good scene, although I'm going to hate the fallout.

Current Murderer Prediction: Um. Aaron Echolls? Seriously I have no idea. Maybe ... God, do I have to say somebody? Bronson-Mac's-boyfriend. Or Nish.

No comments: