19.4.07

Spring Fever, Again, Some More

In my two weeks away from Normandy, crazy stuff happened that I noticed not at all. Okay, I know I keep meaning to write about Germany, and I promise I will, and Amsterdam too, where I am going this weekend. Ironically enough, I am accidentally going to Amsterdam on April 20. I know, right? Story of my life. But I'm waiting to write about Amsterdam until I actually go there and I'm waiting to write about Berlin until I get my pictures uploaded and I can post them. So you get to hear about bugs instead.

Seriously, the insects in Normandy have gone nuts. They were already nuts before I left and now they've gone more nuts. The little red and black beetles that sort of look like extremely masculine ladybugs are mating. I mean, I think they're mating; they seem to be wandering around my street joined at the ass. I don't know what the life cycle of these little things is, but they seem to have hatched maybe six weeks ago, so either they breed all summer or they stay in the egg for like, a million years.

Also, now when I go bike riding, I swallow like six bugs every time. Going at different times of day merely changes the species. I know, I know, trust me, I know.

On the plus side, though, the land has gotten really beautiful. The daffodils are gone but now the tulips are blooming, and they're brightly colored and gorgeous. The mustard (or whatever the hell it is) is waist height, and the lambs aren't in the fields anymore but the horses still are. And the apple trees are finally blooming, sort of one at a time, like dominoes. But when a tree blooms, the whole tree is suddenly white and green. And there's another kind of tree (pear? plum? no idea) that gets covered in these beautiful bright pink blossoms and between that and the apple orchards, the petals sort of drift down through the air all the time. Through the insects. Hey, just trying to give an accurate representation.

And! Now it stays light until late (I started typing now it stays late, which makes no sense) -- seriously it's only April and the sun isn't setting until almost nine -- and I can wait to go on my bike ride until like, 7:30 and the whole countryside looks gold. I don't like living in small towns -- not enough to do, too much animal life -- but I do love riding bikes in the country. Only one bike at a time, though.

Also, completely off topic, Wonderfalls is totally growing on me. I understand people not liking it, but I get so much vicarious fun out of it. I don't actually act like Jaye (at least I hope I don't) but I think like her sometimes, and if you see the whole series as sort of subjectively told, I think it works really well. Like no way is my family as annoying as Jaye's, and objects don't talk to me, but some days it just feels like they do, and you're aware that you're subjective and crazy, but you sort of can't help it. I don't think I explained that very well, but I love it nonetheless. Plenty of elements don't work, or don't work together just right, but the subjective storytelling is tremendous fun to watch, at least when you're my age and caught up in it yourself.

No comments: