17.4.07

Wonderfalls -- Wax Lion & Pink Flamingoes

Two episode reviews at the same time. Because I watched two episodes last night, and really the show is so short, and I've only seen these two episodes, I feel like I don't have the tools to evaluate them on a case by case basis. The show is pretty good, and more than that it's likeable. As in, I wouldn't necessarily expect someone else to enjoy it, but I really am.

The DVDs were a present from someone from SJC. Because she is a sweetheart and really really nice.

And she was right, it's very cathartic to watch this show. Wonderfalls is about a twenty-four-year old girl with a philosophy degree, who has moved back to her hometown to work retail. Welcome to my summer plan. Anyway, inanimate objects start talking to her and telling her to do wacky things that end up changing people's lives in wacky ways.

The writing is snappy and fun, not as intelligent as Veronica Mars but still pretty above average. It's patchy, and sometimes thinks it's cleverer than it is, but there are some absolute gems that make up for it.

The characters are pretty solid, although some of them are kind of predictable. I like Jaye, although the actress needs to learn to get by with less mugging. I don't find her depression makes her unsympathetic, but her constantly changing expression is kind of annoying. Her line readings, however, are kind of awesome. And the best friend is good, and the sister and the mom are just fine (although the mom keeps confusing me because one time she guest starred on The X-Files as a mutant who could persuade people to do things). The dad and the brother are still kind of nondescript, but hopefully that will change. And the bartender/boyfriend type! My god. I don't actually know how good of an actor he is, because whenever he is onscreen I am distracted by his pretty pretty face and winning mannerisms. It's really not fair. I have a philosophy degree and am confused and sometimes depressed and bitter (although I've been starting to snap out of that, thank God) about my life and yet there is no cute bartender flirting with me and giving me free vodka shots. Why not? What am I doing wrong? No guys get fireworks in their pupils when I snark at them. Sometimes the universe is monumentally unfair.

Anyway. Aside from that, and the mugging, I'm really enjoying the show. Its style is very quick and jerky, but it's working for me so far.

I think I should start giving this stuff ratings. Because it's a good way to end reviews without having to think of a conclusion. Nota bene, I rate things harsh. So, about 7/10 for Wonderfalls as a whole so far.

No comments: